.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Studio of Thoughts

Everyone has the right to be free, except within the confines of their own heads

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Bereft

My friend Richard has left for England. For some people that would probably evoke the response “finally!”

And with reason. For the past month, I’ve had, hidden but unbeknownst to me, this odd button that just presses against my gut, every time I think of the fact that he was leaving. That there is a Brisbane without him in it, that I’m in a Richard-less city.

I’ve been his pillar of strength through thick and thin, but in all honesty, on things that truly matter, it’s been the other way around. I’ve appreciated his kindness, been stimulated by his intelligence, and most of all felt a bit like a wondrous creature in his presence. I sensed there was always something about me that fascinated him, and I think I’ve been trying to discover what it was along with him.

But that also means I’ve never really cried in his presence – be it with him or to him or for him. The closest I came to was on the phone, when I was in the death throes of my past relationship. Therefore he doesn’t have the slightest clue about an aspect of me that’s common knowledge to many of my other friends and family, namely what phenomenal waterworks I possess. ( Hence in a way they’d be relieved to know the ‘event’ has finally occurred ).

From the time he messaged me saying he’d written his resignation letter, a little more than a month ago, I’ve been given to random bouts of tears, at sudden times in sudden places. Some friends have been witness to it, but it’s mostly been when I’m driving and have my thoughts to myself – which is not a very safe thing. But the most alarming was when a kind lady I know from work listened to my diatribe and casually put her finger on the core of it – “you two have a soul connection, don’t you.” I obviously never cry at work, so we both pretended that stray tear peeking out of my right eyelid was invisible.

And as the irony should go, of course, when Richard did come over one night before leaving, for a last goodbye, I willed myself not to lose control, and I didn’t. He had this months-long idea of us watching the very last episode ever of Six Feet Under, which he’d taped and not watched on purpose – SFU was our thing. Of course, after prolonged attempts by a very ‘manly’ Richard to hook up his VCR to my TV, it turned out the episode hadn’t been taped at all, and we only kept coming across annoying footage of ‘Phone Booth’ on the video. It was a classic last night.

And of course, still very much in keeping with us, he cried, and I didn’t, as he left. I could almost see the disappointment in his damp eyes as they searched mine, wondering if they would ever moisten.

If only he could see me now.

My life cannot be busier at the moment. My work keeps me on my toes, my demeanour attracts all kinds of people who come up to me and just start confiding, my postgrad plans keeps my intellect stimulated, my social life has gone through the roof so much I’m having to cancel on people, and my next two months are already quite booked up with parties and functions and dos and events.

Yet, the ground beneath has fallen away. Everything is shaky, and all that was constant is now adrift. At times I’m so unbalanced I almost get dizzy.

Because he’s missing.

He’s missing, and I’m bereft.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With respect to Richard and you, to Quote someone (I have no clue who Ok?:-p)
"If you only had a few minutes left to live, who would you call? And what are you waiting for?"

Not sure if it is only me that sees the wisdom in those two sentences...

As you wrote about Six Feet Under, my eyes slightly moistened as well. That was the show that my ex, Jason and I had as the bond that ties...:-) What is it about that show? Is it perhaps a little reminder of the same kind of sentiment as the quote above? I dreamt of him last night actually. I also bumped into his best friend on my birthday who then proceeded to try and stir the proverbial shit. Months ago I probably would have been all bent out of shape hearing how Jason is not happy in his new relationship, how he "always love me" (yes there was no tense in that statement, the best friend is Indian), etc... Funnily enough I am in the same boat as you...too busy with enjoying life to be able to allow myself to be heartbroken.
I am glad to hear that you are "living" so much...yet I sensed as if, by listing how busy and happy your life is, you are just trying to justify why you should not pursue a serious relationship with Richard...or am I making things up?

Much love,
Monika

ps.: the only thing missing from my life now is regular sex :p men in this city has no libido...ahhh the humanity!

1:59 am  
Blogger Sreedhevi Iyer said...

Mon, love - he's GAY. ( Sorry Richard, but she made me ).

And you and Carolyn - if you wanna bitch about me do it on your own time, not on my blogspace! Get off! *grin*

11:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you will HAVE to come to Europe now - London via Frankfurt this winter? next spring? Or will we meet in Mumbai first?

Sree, you know your friends are all around the globe. You may feel bereft when we're not near enough to hug, but we're still there.
Reading your blog, your posts on BW? and patiently waiting for the long email... ;)

Apna khayal rakhnaa!
Ele

7:52 am  
Blogger --Sunrise-- said...

hey... came to you through BW? (am a silent stalker there!)... am a fan of your writings!

life goes on, doesn't it? you were lucky to have such an amazing friend... :)

PS - can i add u to my blogroll?

7:34 pm  
Blogger Sreedhevi Iyer said...

Hey there ss! Been watching your posts too, you make quite an impression. And yes, I'm very very fortunate to have met him, he's a dear friend. If he were to read this he'd probably be really embarrased at the attention - or not,depends on which personality he's wearing.

Go ahead and add me to your blogroll, as long as you let me know what it is!

Short note to darling ELE - the email is still in the coming, once my hearing is over

11:24 pm  
Blogger illusory motion said...

Hey...
Love your writings...especially the one about singledom. Been considering the return to that state myself quite a lot recently. But then again, when I'm single, I want to be in a couple and when I've got someone, I want to be single. The grass is always greener on the other side....
As for friends leaving, normally it's me who does the leaving since I've changed three countries and four cities in the last 8 years. So can tell you that friendships like these last - across seas and oceans and borders and years. Nothing can stop them...
PS.Which message board did you get a link to my blog from?

9:48 pm  
Blogger Sreedhevi Iyer said...

hey azuregoddess - the message board is called BollyWHAT - I *think* Totally Basmatic may be from there too. It's a small group that adores intellectualising and reinterpreting Indian films. None of the "oh SRK's upper lip is so hot" stuff. You should check it out as research for what audiences want ;)

Do you have an email address? I'm planning something related to Indian films for next year, and would love to discuss that more with you if possible, in private.

10:42 pm  
Blogger --Sunrise-- said...

The blog roll is where i link to other blogs that I like... it's under the 'WHAT? Bored already?!' section... and thanks!

12:23 am  
Blogger Sreedhevi Iyer said...

Ah, Sunrise, I thought you were a bloke! Checked your blog, cool layout, haven't read anything on it yet. I'd be honoured if you want to add my onto your blogroll - as well as "Other Bollyholics do exist" ;)

8:21 am  
Blogger --Sunrise-- said...

you thought i was a bloke? hmmm er is that a compliment? :P

if it's all the same to you, this isn't strictly a Bollywood only blog, therefore i'd rather just add you onto the normal blogroll section... :)

PS: you need to update madam - now!! :P

6:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best car insurance
geico car insurance
cheap online car insurance quote
car insurance uk
best car insurance company
aig car insurance
direct line car insurance
auto cheap insurance
car insurance rate
car insurance houston
best car insurance company
best car insurance company
car insurance quote canada
buy car insurance online
car insurance uk
best car insurance rate
car insurance policy
florida car insurance
car accident insurance
aig car insurance
allstate car insurance
online car insurance rate
cheap car insurance quote uk
churchil
l car insurance

geico car insurance quote
aarp car insurance
car insurance in new jersey
young driver car insurance
admiral car insurance
best car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
collector car insurance

7:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home