.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Studio of Thoughts

Everyone has the right to be free, except within the confines of their own heads

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Les Incredibles

Hey. I don't care how many people read my blogs ( or in this case, don't ), I'm writing for it's own sake. Or something noble like that.

Saw The Incredibles today. Couldn't have seen two totally different movies in past two days...Swades, then Incredibles. Both really good. Not as hilarious as Finding Nemo, but a good play on superhero stereotypes.

Was supposed to leave for home today, but my guy's kicked up a fuss, and we struck a deal, and if he keeps his end of the bargain, I stay one more night. He won. Not telling what the deal was.

Now, updating a post that I posted on another board, about Swades:

I'm glad to see so many people affected by Swades's themes...although I feel Ashutosh Gowariker meant for more things to stick, like social consciousness and accountability.But yes, I was affected by Swades on my first watch. Yesterday I took my boyfriend to see it. He's Indian too and he left India about 11 years ago to make a life here, which he has, successfully, but I feel it's at the expense of him feeling 'connected' to others. He always talks about India and it's out-of-date traditions in a very harsh and derogatory manner. Though he's right on some things, I feel the hostility is his way of masking the fact that he's willingly left his homeland, and this bitterness eases the pain.

After we got back from watching yesterday, my usually calm boyfriend was pacing up and down the entire house, quite pointlessly. He's the one who usually goes to bed first, and yet yesterday it was me who was ready to go to bed...and he was like "how come you're going to bed so early?" and I'm like "honey, it's midnight"...and he just couldn't rest...still wandering around the house aimlessly, channel surfing, going to the loo, etc etc...till he kinda collapsed on the bed next to me. I said "the movie's affected you hasn't it".

He just nodded, looking away from me. There was a long silence, during which I caressed his back. I couldn't think of anything appropriate to say. Finally I said the most lame yet most reassuring thing I could think of : "everything will be fine". He nodded. I knew I hadn't helped.

Later, he just said "the movie's message seems to be that you can say the truth simply, without being nasty about it". That's all he'll let me know.

(my boyfriend IS Mohan Bhargav in many ways - intelligent, compassionate, generous. That scene where Mohan gives the poor farmer money rather than insisting on rent...that's my guy through and through. Buying water from the boy at the railway station, gettting really affected by it...all him.)

I can't believe this film flopped in India. It may not be the perfect film narratively speaking, but it certainly is a very important film, and really needed to be made. Hats off to Ashutosh for having the courage to say what a lot of Indians, local and NRI alike, only think in their heads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home