.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Studio of Thoughts

Everyone has the right to be free, except within the confines of their own heads

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Jobs and awards

Wow, its been a while since my last entry. I suppose the major change that's happened so far is that I'm more familiar with my new librarian job at the language school. The building is beautifully old, since it was a hospital during WWII and there are still rooms that used to be wards. The grace of the building has been maintained througout, even in the interiors. I like it that way - rather than having the old facade outside but having a thorough aluminium-steel-minimalist-millennium look inside. I should know. I possess the weirdest copy of the key to the main library door. They don;t make keys like these anymore. It's longer than average, and with an odd-looking nub. It's a wonder my superior found a locksmith who still had the mould to make a copy.

Apparently we even have our very own campus ghost, called the Lady in Grey. She used to be a lady whose fiance was enlisted in the War, and who promised to wait for him at his request. He died and never returned, but her ghost haunts the main building, and she often goes to the window that faces the river, awaiting his return. Scott, one of my trainers, told me that a few years ago they kept old photographs of the main building in the library wing, and you could see a face looking out the window in the direction of the river. All very appropriate to the ambience of the place, if you ask me.

Anyway - I've got some moolah in my account at last, and just in time, too, for it's awards season, and that means watching great movies one after the other. I've already caught Finding neverland, which squeezed out some tears from me, and I'm not a movie crier. Last weekend we watched Alexander - a total stinker. I already knew it wd stink, but went for my guy's sake...he's a huge admirer. But GAWD! Talk abt a miscast lead! I cannot see how Oliver Stone thought Colin Farrell wd be a good Alexander...I'd put my money on Jude Law any day...classic Grecian features, as was Alexander. *SIGH*

Contemplating watching Alfie, Ray, Sideways, Closer,Kinsey et al pretty soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home