.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Studio of Thoughts

Everyone has the right to be free, except within the confines of their own heads

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Monday, January 31, 2005

Food and The Movies

The Queensland Summer is starting to show in it's full strength, and my apartment is a total meltdown area. It is SO hot here, I honestly have to find things to do that would take me elsewhere during the day.

Today Ram and I found a really cool South Indian restaurant, at Mount Gravatt, a suburd quite far away from us. Called Southern Spice, they had a buffet lunch, and man, I haven't eaten such authentic south indian fare outside India/Malaysia. Idli, upma, vadai, sambhar, chutney, raita, kheer, dosa....you name it. It's totally divine. Ram declared he would start with idlis and work his way down :) I'm just glad we discovered this place - Qld is not very Indian-oriented. And the service was fast, with a friendly staff ( friendly enough to lend Ram a lighter when he wanted his occasional cigarette...I have made him quit almost entirely, but such with such great food...I totally understand ).

Last week, I was contemplating watching so good awards-worthy movies. Didn't happen. Since Kisna was out, and this theatre in the city had just started to show bollywood movies, I decided to watch it...especially since I was going fida over the songs. Two words. BAD DECISION. I cannot believe Subhash Ghai would peddle this non-quality crap as a great movie that would cross borders. It is worse than some B-grade films. The only exception is Sushmita Sen, and Antonia Bernath. I was disappointed to the point of anger. And what's unforgivable is the picturisation of most songs, with the exception of Chillman, and My Wish Comes True.

Kinda made up for it yesterday night, by watching 'Ray'. Great movie, and Jamie Foxx is seriously excellent in his accurate portrayal. Kinda long, though, and of course, with the super-hype it's being given at the moment with the Oscar nominations, a little overrated. But on its own, a good movie nonetheless, that thankfully doesn't pull punches like most other bio movies that glorify real characters. Rather it showed a three-dimensional Ray, and unabashedly explored the aspects in his life that made many close to him label him a total arsehole, bastard, etc...

Even more...after Kisna, on Friday, after a long and gruelling day, I decided to take some time to myself ( which entailed DAYS of appeasing the boyfriend....don't men ever get the fact that women are actually BETTER partners if they take some time to themselves? ), got home, had some great pasta, and watched 'Raincoat' by myself. ADORED the movie, even better when I realised it was based on O Henry's The Gift of The Magi. Beautiful narrative, setting, characterisation, acting. Just simple and great cinema.

Starting my WeightWatcher's Diet next week...from tmw, in fact. Done it before,but the situation now is so different, and the POINTS value are counted differently. Plus there's my lovely relationship that seems to be based on the sharing of good tasty ( if not very healthy ) food. It's gonna be a challenge, and I need all the help I can get.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home