.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Studio of Thoughts

Everyone has the right to be free, except within the confines of their own heads

My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Mira Nair's 'The Namesake'

This is a book, written by Pulitzer-Prize winning Jhumpa Lahiri, that I must say is the most perfect one I've read in a few years. I highly recommend it to ANYONE who likes cross-cultural themes, or precise, concise writing, or are trying to balance two cultures, or just basically like a good story.

The Namesake refers to Gogol, an Indian-American born to migrant Bengali parents in the US. The novel spans his life from the time he's born to when he comes full circle with his own identity - something he seems to be searching for in most of the novel, with an elegant and exquisite pain that many other authors tackling the same issue fail to capture.

While the story unfolds with a sure calmness as a result of Lahiri's confident voice and writing, her characters are complex and endearing and will stay with you. While Gogol is the protagonist, it is Ashima, his mother, that many readers feel both passionate and compassionate about. As a first generation migrant to a Western country at a time where all Indians were equated with vegetarianism and weird-looking Hare Krishnas, Ashima's silent isolation from everything familiar is captured quietly but effectively. ( Personally, it resonates Mrs Sen, one of Lahiri's short stories from her The Interpreter of Maladies. )

The movie 'The Namesake' is being filmed as we speak, directed by Mira Nair ( who overnight became one of my favourite directors after I saw Monsoon Wedding, a movie that left me breathless ). Tabu, a well of talent from Indian cinema, plays Ashima, while Kal Penn of Harold and Kumar and Dude Where's the Party fame plays Gogol. Of the latter choice, I cannot complain, I can almost visualise Kal's 'lost and confused' look which is the essence of Gogol ( I had my reservations about Abhishek Bachchan, a mainstream Bollywood actor just coming into his own, who was the first choice ). But despite my ardent admiration for Tabu, I somehow feel Rani Mukerji, the current Bollywood top actress who was also first choice for Ashima, would've looked the part more - my take on Ashima is a blend of confusion, strength and fragility, and being a Bollywood fanatic, I can safely say I can picture Rani doing perfect justice to the role.

That said, I have faith that Mira Nair 'gets' The Namesake very well ( http://in.rediff.com/movies/2005/may/23namesake.htm , http://in.movies.yahoo.com/050522/43/5ymue.html , http://nowrunning.com/news/news.asp?id=3411 ) and I'll wait with an open mind ( and bated breath! ) for the release of this movie.

By the way - Kal Penn is also writing a blog on the making of this movie. He's alternately funny ( in a Zach Braff in Garden State sort of way ) and passionate - and young. Take a peek - http://thenamesake.typepad.com/blog/

Comments welcome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home